Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year

I love when the new year comes. It makes me feel like I can start over today. I was lazy last year. This year I'm going to be motivated. This morning I feel great. The kids are finally off to school again. Yippy! I love my kids, but when they are at school, it gives me time to miss them and appreciate them more. We had a two hour school delay this morning, so Katie and I were working on her science project. I hated science fair projects when I was in school, and my additude hasn't changed. And of course Katie worries about school stuff which is good, but do we really need to get all upset and teary eyed when it's not perfect? How do you tell a kid not to worry about school work so much, but still want them to do good? I can't remember if I was like that. I know I wasn't in High School. Anyway, I told her it's just a project, we still have time, and don't worry so much. She already has straight A+'s. A not perfect project isn't going to hurt her too bad.
Yesterday was a hard day. First, I thought school started. So we got up, and walked to school in the snow because the radio didn't say anything about it being delayed or closed. No buses. Hhmm, that's odd. We walk in and there's some teachers walking around. They said there is no school for kids today, just teachers. Christmas Break doesnt' end until tomorrow. We walk home.
I take the kids to the store. (It's on my list of crap to do.)
Nathan wants in the cart. He's really heavy, but I put him in.....the child seat. Bad idea. He wants out halfway through. Katie has to help me take him out because 1. he's heavy, 2. he doesn't move his legs. He just lets you pull him up and out 3. I'm not tall enough to lift him where his legs clear. So katie is bending his legs to get them through the holes while I am holding him as high as I can.
We walk 5 steps, he touches some stuff, and wants back in the cart. I tell him no because I can't get you back out. And here comes the fit. Haven't seen one is so long. Holding onto the cart, half walking, half dragging his feet. Crying.....nose running.....saliva running from his mouth. (I'm trying to give you the whole embarrising picture) Katie saying eehhhww. "Nathan, wipe your mouth." He wipes his mouth and continues to cry. Now you might think, spank him or something. But spanking doesn't work with Nate. Never has. Standing in a corner is his ultimate punishment. Can't stand it. There are no corners in a grocery store. Can't have him drooling on the food, now can we? Oh, and the looks from people. Wish I had a camera. Anyway, the best part.....we are standing in line, unloading the food, and I'm trying to pull the cart forward to reload the food after it's scanned. Nathan is still holding on for life to the cart. As I pull is forward, slowly, he falls down on his back. Still holding onto the cart with one had out-stretched and crying. I smile at the clerk. I finally pick him up and give him a hug. Poor guy is so frustrated. Katie pushes the cart to the car while I carry Nate, who is now whimpering.
I didn't run any more errands.

7 comments:

Jenni James said...

LOL! I know I shouldn't laugh! But I have SO been there done that! You have NO idea! LOL! Except i'm super mean, I leave my kids! hahah! Just leave them in the middle of the aisle--probably wouldn't have worked for your little guy since he was holding on! Lol! BUt yeah, I get a lot of looks. Sigh, gotta enjoy being a mom.

Holly said...

Im sorry about your bad day at the store! I hate those types of visits to the store. So how are you guys? I hope you had a wonderful christmas and Happy New Year to ya!

Melissa said...

Hey, that sounds like my life!

Melissa said...

The grocery store/tantrum part, I mean

The Waite Family said...

good to see your still alive you haven't posted in a long while. I'm sorry about the store but the whole visual image in my head that you described is sooo funny I had to laugh out loud!!

Bonnie said...

I"m laughing that completely sympathetic laugh right now. I SO KNOW what that's like! Good job surviving it though. And you know, Eric is JUST like Katie. He is really a perfectionist about being the best at school. Maybe it's an oldest child thing. Who knows?!

Brian & Rena Bayley said...

Holly I know how you feel!! Brian and I DREAD!!!!! going out in public now with Lexi, because throwing tantrums is ALL she does!! you can't hold her hand she freaks out and starts screaming bloody murder, you can't NOT hold her hand cause she runs away from you and will not listen when you call her back! you can't pick her up and hold her, she starts throwing her body back and forth as hard as she can, which makes us almost drop her EVERY time. Then if you try and talk to her while she is throwing her weight around she starts screaming even louder and saying Owie!! Like we are hurting her!!! She is literally become a devil child in public, which the weirdest part is, when we are home.. she is COMPLETELY NORMAL!! But as soon and we step outside our house... !!!!!BAMMMM!!!!!!!! She transforms into MegaMonster!!! We have no idea what to do or where to even begin with her! Time outs don't work at all anymore, spanking doesn't work, nothing whatsoever works with her!!!! So yeah... I know the feeling!!